Saturday 31 December 2016

Thought of the day

“When it shall be said in any country in the world,
my poor are happy;
neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them;
my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars;
the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive;
the rational world is my friend,
because I am a friend of its happiness:
When these things can be said,
then may the country boast
of its constitution and its government.”
~ Thomas Paine

Thomas PaineThomas Paine (February 9, 1737 – June 8, 1809) was an author, pamphleteer, radical, inventor, intellectual, revolutionary, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. Born in Thetford, in the English county of Norfolk, Paine emigrated to the British American colonies in 1774 in time to participate in the American Revolution. His principal contributions were the powerful, widely read pamphlet Common Sense.

*Source | Association

No comments:

Post a Comment